Freedom Is an Inner Decision - The Quiet Promise to Myself

Today I woke up with a quiet thought that had been slipping away from me for a long time. For years, I believed that being free simply meant changing something on the outside. I imagined it as an open road, an empty calendar, a suitcase packed and ready to go, or that one breakup after which you can finally exhale. I thought that if I had a little more money so I wouldn’t have to worry, if I worked a job with no bosses standing over me, or if simply no one held me accountable for anything, I would suddenly feel ready to breathe deeply and say to myself: 'There, I am finally free.' Of course, external circumstances matter. You cannot talk about inner peace to someone struggling to pay rent, or to someone living in fear and under control. We shouldn't romanticize hardship or oppression. But there is another kind of freedom - a quieter one - that remains locked, even when all the doors on the outside are wide open. I only realized this after moving through several different pl...

Why I Stopped Trying to Make Every Ending Look Perfect

 It’s early morning, my coffee is getting cold on the table, and I’m just sitting here watching the light slowly fill the room. For a long time, I thought every ending in life had to be neat - with a thoughtful apology, complete closure, and that clean period at the end that brings absolute peace of mind. Turns out, life rarely works that way. Most things just end unfinished and half-said, without a neat bow or any unnecessary drama. My biggest relief was simply stopping the force to make them look perfect.

For years, I wore a mask. I tried to be convenient, agreeable, always right, and understanding. When I finally stopped pretending to be something I wasn’t, there were no grand epiphanies - just a quiet sense of relief. I realized how much energy goes into hiding from yourself. It’s scary to look at your own mistakes and fears without falling apart, but that’s exactly where you start breathing fully again.

I learned something else, too: my harshest judge was never the people on the outside, but the voice inside my own head. The one whispering after every mistake that I wasn’t enough. It took me a long time to learn to simply tell myself: 'Okay, you messed up, it’s hard right now, but everything is fine.' To me, that’s real self-love - not abstract theories, but simply stopping being your own worst enemy when things break down.

I also stopped looking for validation at every turn. I used to ask ten different people just to hear that I did the right thing. Today, knowing why I made a choice is enough for me. It’s the same with forgiveness - you don’t give it to excuse someone or act like a saint, but to stop carrying someone else's burden. You simply let go of the rope because your hands hurt.

That shifted my relationships with others, too. I’m no longer looking for someone to 'complete' me or fix what’s broken inside. I look for people who are comfortable on their own, so we can just be together - no masks, no trying to save each other.

Growth isn't a straight line. There are days I take a step back, slip into old habits, and feel that familiar fear. The difference is, I don't hate myself for it anymore. Every setback and every unfinished ending is just part of my journey. I don't need a perfect story to be okay with myself. Being real, right here and right now, is enough.

 

Why I Stopped Trying to Make Every Ending Look Perfect

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Болестта като пътепоказател на душата

July Blossoms - Discover the Newest Books on Flower Essences and Homeopathy on Amazon

България след ЕС - Визия за самостоятелно бъдеще

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *