The Spiritual Alchemy of Waiting - When Loneliness Turns Into Gold and Love Becomes a State of Being
Morning. A little past five. The light hasn't yet decided whether it wants to be day and lingers on the edge of the curtain like a hesitation. I breathe slowly, so as not to startle it. In hours like these I understand most clearly that waiting is not emptiness, but a very quiet, almost invisible work of the soul.
For years I thought I was waiting incorrectly. That I should be doing something, accelerating, fixing myself in order to be worthy of the encounter. And now it seems to me that all this time has been the spiritual alchemy of waiting and loneliness that no one ever tells you about. No one tells you that the lead of loneliness slowly turns into the gold of clarity, but not through effort, through staying. You stay. You stay in the room, in the silence, in that feeling of a slight tightening in the chest, which at first feels like lack and then turns out to be a furnace. In it, everything superfluous burns away. All the stories I told myself about who I had to be in order to be loved. All the performances of patience that were, in fact, disguised control.
Psychoanalysis would call this a purification of projection. For a long time I was looking outside for what I could not hold inside. Love as salvation, as an escape from myself, as a warm room where I could finally rest from being me. And the more I searched for it like that, the more it withdrew, because no one else can carry the weight of my wholeness. Now I understand that waiting as active readiness is a completely different state from waiting as hunger. The first is vibrating, alive, almost tangible space in which the heart expands and learns to contain more silence, more not-knowing, without contracting. The second is simply a hole that begs to be filled. I lived in the second one for a long time. I was praying for someone to come and finish me.
And true love as a state and inner wholeness came not as an answer, but as a change in the question. It is not something you find. It is something you suddenly find yourself inside of when you stop needing another person in order to feel whole. It sounds paradoxical and a little cruel at first, doesn't it? How can you not need? Isn't love precisely about needing? But perhaps what we call need is just the old childhood longing to be held, to be seen, to be justified. And love, the real kind, comes after that. When I can already make my morning coffee, wash the cup, look out the window and feel that this is enough. That my day is not conditional. That I am not conditional.
Then the theme of the integration of the inner animus appeared, which I avoided for a long time because it sounded too theoretical, too neatly Jungian. But my body knew it before my mind did. Every woman carries the shadow of the man she is looking for, carries inside her his voice, his direction, his capacity to say no, to draw boundaries, to move forward without apologizing. I was looking for him outside as a support, as a wall to lean on, and in fact I had to first build him inside. To stop waiting for someone to give me permission to want, to decide, to act. To integrate this masculine strength, not to become hard, but to become whole. To allow my inner man to protect me, so I would not look for an outer man to save me. And how strange it is that only then the outer encounter stops being a drama and becomes a calm confirmation. Not fireworks, not an earthquake. But a quiet nod. Yes, it's you. Yes, I am here.
And this brings me to the most tender discovery of late - the sanctification of the everyday and divine synchrony. I began to notice how the spiritual path does not happen in retreats and in special states, but in how I fold the laundry. How I let the water run a little longer over my hands in the morning. How I breathe when I am running late and no longer scold myself for being late. There is a moment when you understand that delay is an act of mercy. That time is not punishing you, it is attuning you. Something in me for so long wanted everything to happen immediately, as if happening immediately would prove that I am loved. And the divine has a completely different rhythm. It does not hurry, because it has nowhere to be late for.
Perhaps that is why the thought that personal will is a subset of a greater will soothes me so much. In psychoanalytic language, my ego is finally agreeing that it is not the center of the universe. In spiritual language, I am learning to say - Thy will be done. Not as a renunciation of myself, but as the deepest intimacy. Surrendering to the divine will is not passivity. It is the fidelity to keep watering your own garden, even when you do not know if anyone will ever sit in it. To keep writing, to keep praying, to keep caring for your body, to keep being kind when no one is watching. This is prayer without words. This is presence.
Sometimes I think about the encounter. How will I know? And that image that hasn't left me for months comes - that two souls recognize each other not by transient outer traits, but by the rhythm of light in their eyes. Recognition by the rhythm of light. Not by height, not by words, not even by a shared history. But by the way light stays in the gaze. Whether it is anxious, whether it trembles, whether it runs away. Or whether it is calm. There are people whose eyes are like closed windows. And there are people whose eyes breathe. I want to be one of the second kind. And I want to recognize such eyes. Without analyzing. The body will know before the mind, as it always does.
And here comes what I for a long time could not forgive life for - the delay. Why so late? Why so many years of solitude? Why so many almost-loves? And now I see that delay as attunement was necessary. That if love had come earlier, I would have missed it, or worse - I would have turned it into another drama of proving. My inner strings were too taut, too fragile. They needed time to soften. To learn to endure closeness without dissolving. To endure tenderness without turning it into a debt. God, if I can call Him that this morning without sounding pretentious, does not delay out of cruelty, but out of tenderness. So that I do not break from the force of what I have prayed for.
There is one more thing I did not want to admit. That light does not enter through my perfection. How many years I tried to be smoother, wiser, less needy, more spiritual. To erase the cracks. And yet it is light through the open wounds. This is perhaps the quietest truth. When I stop hiding my pain, when I allow sadness to sit next to me at the table without chasing it away and without overfeeding it, then something in my chest opens. Something like a small window. And air comes in through it. Accepting my own imperfection is not resignation. It is a door. It is the way true light finally finds where to enter, because I am no longer guarding the facade so fiercely.
A small self-irony sits here next to me, one that I have come to love very much lately. It says to me - look at you, writing about love again as if it were some great mystical cathedral, when in fact you just want someone to hold your hand when you are afraid. And I smile, because both are true. Both the cathedral and the hand. Both the prayer and the very ordinary, human need to be held. Presence is what brings them together.
And perhaps that is why today, on this edge between night and day, I feel for the first time not an ending, but a change in direction. I feel that the end of waiting does not mean that someone has arrived. But that I have finally understood that what I am waiting for is already a part of me. That I am not waiting for a man. I am waiting for myself, returned to myself. I am waiting for that version of me who is not afraid to stay, who does not run into the future, who can say - I am here, and this is sacred enough. And the moment I understood that, waiting stopped hurting. It became active readiness, a quiet, breathing space in which I can live, work, love my friends, make soup, pray, without postponing my life for later.
I do not know if this is the end of the diary, or just the end of a chapter. I only know that the light on the curtain is stronger now, the water in the kettle has gone cold, and the room is quiet in that way it is quiet when something has been understood. Not completely, not forever, not in big words. But quietly, with a breath, with gratitude. If love comes today, there will be a place for it to sit. If it does not come today, there will still be a place for me to sit. And perhaps that is exactly what divine synchrony is - not that everything happens when I want it to, but that I am finally in sync with what is happening. And it is soft. And it is real. And for today - it is enough.
Comments
Post a Comment