Where God Dwells in the Space Beyond Answers

 

Morning arrives unhurried, wearing that barely perceptible gray light that hesitates to give names to things, simply bringing them out of the dark as they are. I sit in this silence, holding a cool cup between my palms, listening to the city slowly begin to breathe. In these hours, when the world has not yet asked me to play any definite role, my inner voice returns once more to its old trail. For so long I have been trying to understand myself. Trying to arrange this chaos of thoughts, to map my inner topography, to find logic in that which, by definition, eludes reason. I have asked myself a thousand times: why I feel so intensely, why every small shadow of another’s withdrawal reverberates inside me like the collapse of an entire building? Why I am afraid of what I most desperately long to draw near? Why I love like this - with an uncompromising, almost painful fullness that sometimes frightens not only the other, but even myself?

There are places in my memory that possess a strange, almost physical gravitational field. Why I return to the very same places - those old streets of the past, those abandoned conversations, those inner rooms where no one has lived for a long time? Why some people remain within me long after they have left? I walk through my days with their imprints, carrying the faces of old longings or broken hopes, catching myself continuing silent dialogues with people who have likely forgotten my voice long ago. This internal monologue is exhausting, yet it feels like the only instrument at my disposal. I disassemble myself into pieces in order to understand the whole. I conduct a constant dissection of my own past, pulling out every memory, every gesture, every word, placing them under the microscope of my consciousness, waiting for them to reveal the secret of my being. Yet the more pieces I lay out on the table, the more I feel the living tissue of my soul slipping away. The parts are here, but the whole is absent.

And right then, in the gap between two rational explanations, in a moment of complete exhaustion from my own self-absorption, another question surfaces from the back room of my awareness. But sometimes I ask myself another question: where is God in all of this?

I am not asking about the God of dry dogmas, nor the God of moralistic rules or that distant, abstract figure designed to fill the voids in our philosophy. Not as a theory. Not as a ready-made answer I must memorize and write down correctly in some imaginary exam on spirituality to earn approval and a passing grade. But as a living, tangible presence. As a breath in the room. As that silence remaining after all my inner voices finally grow tired of offering explanations.

I ask myself with an almost childlike, exposed sincerity: where is God when I feel ashamed of myself? When shame is so heavy and sticky that it makes me want to shrink, to become invisible, to disappear from the eyes of the world? Where is He in those shameful, hidden corners of my being that I carefully conceal even from those closest to me? Where is He when I do something that I know moves me away from the person I want to be? In those moments of small betrayals against my own conscience, of petty malevolent thoughts, of fearful silence or self-destructive choices - does He turn away in disgust? Or does He stand nearby, grieving, yet never abandoning?

And what happens when life bends at an angle I had not foreseen? Where is He when I don't understand why something is happening to me? When the pain is meaningless, when the loss is asymmetrical to my strength, and when security crumbles like sand between my fingers? Where is He when I pray and there is no answer? When the sky seems forged from a solid sheet of lead, and my words return to me like an echoing rebound in an empty cathedral? This silence of God is the heaviest trial for the human heart. It invites despair, but it also invites a far deeper faith - a faith no longer fed by miracles and quick consolations.

And then an even harder, bone-shaking question emerges: can I allow God to see me as I am - not as I would like to be? We are so accustomed to showing ourselves to the world with our facades, our achievements, our meticulously polished virtues. We are accustomed, even in our prayers, to come with the "correct" attitude, corrected behavior, trying to be good, mature, healed individuals. But how terrifying it is to strip away even this spiritual facade. To stand before your Creator not as the ideal version of yourself, but as the broken, confused, unfinished vessel that you actually are in this moment. To allow Him to see your envy, your fear, your anger, the languor of your spirit.

In search of clarity, I often reach for the language of psychoanalysis. Perhaps there are things that psychoanalysis can help me see. It is like a fine magnifying glass placed over the dark water of the unconscious. It possesses the honesty of a surgical scalpel. It can show me repetition - that magic circle in which I unconsciously choose the same scenarios, enter the same conflicts, relive the same abandonment. It can show me the defense - the complex, intelligent mechanisms with which my ego attempts to protect itself from anxiety: rationalization, projection, intellectualization, through which I turn my living pain into dry concepts.

Analysis points out the wound - that primal splitting, that early deficit of security that left a scar upon the very matrix of my personality. It reveals desire in its raw, uncultivated form - the longing to be seen, validated, held. It shows me fear - the fear of engulfment and the fear of abandonment dancing their endless dance within my relationships. And above all, analysis brings to light the child who is still waiting—that small, frightened creature inside me who still waits for someone's embrace to tell them it is safe to breathe, that they are enough just as they are.

All of this is valuable. It is necessary work, clearing away the internal debris. But gradually, I begin to feel the boundaries of this process. But there are places where analysis cannot reach. Psychoanalysis can name the room, but it cannot fill it with light. It can explain why I suffer, but it cannot give meaning to the suffering. It can dissect the trap, but it lacks the power to lead me out of it.

There is a deeper layer in the human soul - a place where I do not have to explain myself. A place beyond terminology, theories, and diagnoses. A place where I do not need to analyze my childhood to have the right to exist. A place where I do not have to earn anything. In the world of people, and sometimes in the inner world of my analytical self, everything is a matter of earning - I must understand, I must work it out, I must realize, I must heal. But the soul hungers for a tenderness that cannot be bought with therapy hours or intellectual exertion. It hungers for a place where I can simply be seen. Not analyzed, not corrected, not interpreted. Simply seen in my exposed, complete truth.

And perhaps that is precisely where prayer begins.

True prayer is not a list of demands, nor an attempt to manipulate reality. It does not begin with the grandiloquent formulas of self-improvement. It does not say: “God, make me someone else.” Because hidden within that request is often the same old shame, the same self-loathing disguised as spiritual aspiration. "Make me stronger, better, more spiritual, calmer" actually means: "I cannot bear what I am right now, change it."

True prayer begins when we stop fighting our own existence. It whispers: “God, help me not to hide from what You already see in me.” This is a prayer of total surrender. It is the courage to say: You already know my weakness, You already see my duplicity, my fear, my pride. Help me to have the courage to look at them too, without turning to flee. Help me to remain in Your presence along with my imperfection.

This understanding changes everything. I begin to see that perhaps the spiritual path is not an escape from the psyche. It is not an attempt to fly into the clouds of pseudo-enlightenment while down on earth our emotional wounds bleed and poison our relationships. Authentic spirituality does not bypass psychological reality; it transfigures it. Perhaps it is the ability to descend deeply enough into myself without turning into my own god. This is a thin, dangerous line. When we venture deep into our inner world, there is a risk of becoming so obsessed with our own experiences that we turn our EGO, our drama, and our story into the center of the universe. We begin to bow down before our own pain.

Spiritual maturity requires something else. It requires us to know my darkness without deifying it. To know that there is a shadow within me, aggression, resistance, but without making them my master or justifying them with some fatalistic inevitability. It requires us to accept my weakness without turning it into an identity. There is a vast difference between saying "I am currently experiencing weakness and fear" and "I am a weak and broken person." When we turn our wound into an identity, we fall in love with our victimhood and cease to grow.

The path invites us to take responsibility without punishing myself. Self-punishment is a cheap substitute for change. It gives us the illusion that we are paying for our mistakes through suffering, while in truth we are merely spinning in the same vicious cycle of guilt. Genuine responsibility is quiet, mature, and actionable. It says: "I made a mistake, I caused this damage, and now I will do what I can to mend it, without mentally scourging myself."

Spiritual experience teaches us to forgive without denying the pain. Forgiveness is not sweeping events under the rug. It is not pretending that "nothing happened" or that "everything is fine." True forgiveness acknowledges the full depth of the injury, feels the full bitterness of betrayal, yet chooses not to remain a prisoner of that pain. It releases the debt of the other so that one's own heart may remain free.

And perhaps the hardest thing of all: to love without possessing. Our human love is so often contaminated by the desire for control, by the need for the other to be a guarantee of our security. We want to enclose them within the frame of our expectations, to possess their time, their thoughts, their future. But true love, the kind that mirrors the Divine, is like an open palm. It holds the other creature with tenderness, yet leaves them complete freedom to arrange their wings and fly away if that is their path.

From this flows the capacity to let go without ceasing to love. This is perhaps the deepest paradox of the human heart. We so often confuse letting go with indifference or hatred. We think that to free ourselves from someone, we must devalue them, hate them, or forget everything we experienced. But the highest form of forgiveness is to allow the person to walk away from your physical life, to accept the end of a form, and yet to keep your blessing upon them. To continue wishing them well from a distance, demanding nothing in return.

And perhaps above all: to understand that self-knowledge is not the ultimate goal.

This is the great insight that turns the entire psychoanalytic project upside down. We live in a culture obsessed with self-knowledge, self-development, and endless digging in our inner world. We believe that if we read one more book, undertake one more therapy session, analyze one more dream, we will finally reach the desired harmony. Because I can know all my wounds and still remain locked inside myself. I can possess a flawless vocabulary for my diagnoses, know precisely which attachment style I have, which childhood traumas trigger my reactions, and yet remain deeply lonely, cold, and narcissistically encapsulated in my own microcosm. Self-knowledge, when turned into an end in itself, is merely a more refined form of prison.

And perhaps the purpose, through everything I discover about myself, is to become capable of loving more freely.

Here is the true criterion of healing. Not how perfectly I understand myself, but how much wider my heart has become for others. Does the uncovering of my own wounds make me more compassionate toward the wounds of the person standing before me? Does the awareness of my own weakness make me less judgmental of my neighbor's failings? All analyses, all spiritual practices, all tears and confessions have value only in so far as they pierce the armor of our EGO and allow love to flow through us without hindrance.

The light outside is changing now. The gray shifts into a soft, golden pink. Morning enters the room without making a sound, simply dissolving the shadows with its quiet presence.

And if God is there - perhaps He is not only in the answers.

We constantly seek God in clear concepts, in victories, in irrefutable proofs, in miracles, in well-formulated answers. We seek Him at the end of the equation where everything must balance out perfectly. But perhaps He escapes our definitions in order to remain near to our seeking. Perhaps He is also in the very space where I finally stop being afraid of the truth.

God is in that quiet, serene breadth that appears when we cease defending ourselves. When we stop lying to ourselves that we are stronger, more spiritual, or more righteous than we are. He is in the very air we take in when we finally breathe a sigh of relief and say: "This is me. So vulnerable, so imperfect, so searching. And that is enough."

In this space of complete honesty, there is no room for fear. Truth is no longer a judge waiting to pass sentence upon us, but a light that enfolds us. In this light, wounds cease to be marks of shame and become windows through which Divine grace enters us, and our love goes out into the world. And right here, on this threshold between night and day, between psychological wreckage and spiritual building, I finally discover Him - not as an answer to my questions, but as the very peace that makes questions no longer necessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Болестта като пътепоказател на душата

July Blossoms - Discover the Newest Books on Flower Essences and Homeopathy on Amazon

България след ЕС - Визия за самостоятелно бъдеще

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *