As Above, So Within - A Morning Diary on Mirrors, Shadows, and Becoming Whole
Morning. A little past five. The light hasn't yet decided if it wants to be day and hangs in the air like dust, like a hesitation. I breathe slowly and listen to the house being silent. In these first minutes, before the world asks anything of me, I have the feeling that I can finally see more clearly. Not outward, but inward. And I think that for my whole life I have been looking in the wrong direction.
For a long time I believed life was happening to me. That people come, they wound, they love, they betray, that circumstances arrange themselves like randomly thrown stones. And now, in this silence where even my prayer is more of an exhale than of words, I begin to suspect something much quieter and much more frightening. That the outer world is a mirror of the soul. Not a metaphor, not a pretty thought from a book, but a literal, almost physical law. That what I call reality is simply a reflection of my inner landscape. Everything I carry in my chest - my unfinished griefs, my unspoken longings, my childish belief that I must be good to be loved - all of it is projected outward and tints the world with its own colors.
And then I understand why some people infuriate me to the point of trembling. Why the same difficulty returns to me under different masks, with different names, but with the same bitter taste in my mouth. Psychoanalysis calls it projection, and my soul feels it as a truth as old as breath. We do not see others as they are, we see them as we are. Every person who hurts me, every conflict that exhausts me, is simply a mirror, an actor hired by my own subconscious to play out a scene I would otherwise not hear. My subconscious is a good director, patient and merciless. It will hire the same actor again and again until I learn my line, until I stop running from the stage. How many years I fought the reflections, trying to wipe the stain from the mirror instead of looking at my own hands.
And here comes the difference that changes everything. The difference between two ways of thinking, of existing. There is a kind of thinking I know well, one I have lived in for almost my entire life - horizontal thinking. It is flat, logical, tired. It slides across the surface of cause and effect, constantly asking, "why is this happening to me, who is to blame, how can I fix it faster." It is noisy, always looking for an explanation, looking for someone to condemn so it can calm down. And then there is another kind - vertical thinking. It doesn't slide, it sinks. It is a dive into depth, where the water becomes dark and quiet. It doesn't ask "why," it asks "what does it mean." What is the symbol behind this event, what is the hidden analogy, what is the lesson my soul is trying to whisper through this failure, this loss, this fatigue. Horizontal thinking wants to control the world, vertical thinking wants to understand it. One cuts, the other connects. And when I begin to think vertically, the world stops being a collection of random facts and starts being a text, a sacred text written in the language of symbols, where every encounter, every pain, every season has its place.
Because I am a divided being. For a long time I didn't want to admit it to myself. I wanted to be only light, only good, only accepting. And everything else - my anger, my envy, my jealousy, my desire to be seen, the small, sometimes cruel need to be above others - all of that I pushed down, into what Jung calls the shadow, and what I now call the basement of consciousness. I thought that if I didn't look at it, it would disappear. But what we deny doesn't die, it simply changes its form. It materializes outside as bad luck, as a weight in the throat, as people who betray us exactly where we are most vulnerable, as conflicts that repeat themselves. Polarities and opposites live inside me at the same time. Light and darkness, the saint and the witch, the child and the mother. The path to wholeness is not to kill one part so the other can live, but to seat them at the same table, to pour them tea made of silence and listen. To say to my shadow: I see you, you are mine too. This is painful work, because it requires me to stop being the perfect heroine of my own story and to become simply human - whole, imperfect, real. Integration is not about becoming better, but about becoming fuller.
And the body remembers everything the mind tries to forget. How long I treated my body as an enemy that needed to be fixed, disciplined, cured. But it was never an enemy. It is my most faithful ally, the translator of the soul. Illness does not come to punish us, the symptom is not a sentence. It is a signpost, a bright arrow in the dark, showing exactly where awareness is missing. Psychoanalytic thought and spiritual wisdom meet right here, at this point where I understand that the body materializes what the spirit has failed to process and to weep through. Every tight pain in the shoulders, every clenching in the stomach, every sleepless night is a symbol waiting to be deciphered, not silenced. What can I not bear, that my shoulders are bearing it. What can I not digest, that my belly aches. What do I not want to see, that my eyes blur. When I stop fighting my body and start listening to it like an old friend, like a prayer spoken in the language of flesh, it begins to whisper truths that my mind has been avoiding for years. And in that listening there is so much humility, so much returning home.
I am beginning to see something else too, something that once seemed too big for me to understand. That the world is not chaos. That there is a sacred architecture, a hidden order, an invisible geometry holding everything together. The ancients called it Hermeticism and gathered it into one sentence that sounds like a breath: as above, so below. As within, so without. This principle of analogies calms me in a way no logic ever could. Because it means I am not separate. That the tides of the ocean are reflected in my blood, that the phases of the moon have something to do with the cycles of my sadness and my joy, that the movement of the planets is analogous to the rhythm of my breathing and my circulation. I am a small universe, and the universe is a large body. When I am lost, I can look up and remember the order. I can look at how the morning light falls through the window and understand something about my own soul. Everything is connected to everything by invisible threads of meaning. Nothing is only for itself. Even my loneliness has an analogue in the winter sleep of trees.
And perhaps the most difficult, the slowest understanding of all is the one about responsibility. For years I lived in the role of the victim without even knowing it. Not because I wanted to suffer, but because that's how I was taught, that it was safer that way. If the world does things to me, then I am not guilty, I just have to endure. But this posture, though comfortable, takes away all my power. The transition from victim to conscious creator is painful, like a birth. To accept personal responsibility for everything that happens to you at first weighs like a stone. How can I be responsible for both the good and the bad. Resistance comes, anger comes. And then, if you stay long enough in the silence, freedom comes. Because if I am the co-creator of my reality through my unconscious projections, through my inner landscape, then I can also change it. Not by fighting the mirror, not by hitting the reflection, but by going to the source. To fix not the mirror, but the soul's hair. To comb my tangled thoughts with the comb of awareness. And then the outer world, obedient as water, will reflect the new softness.
I write this and I breathe. I inhale light, I exhale fear. And I feel something inside me slowly arranging itself. Transformation is not thunder, not a miracle that happens overnight. It is this - the morning sitting in silence in which you allow your demons to be seen and thus, seen, they begin to turn into angels. Not because you chased them away, but because you embraced them and gave them a different job. My shadow doesn't want to destroy me, it wants to make me whole. My symptom doesn't want to hurt me, it wants to bring me back to myself. Everything wants to return to wholeness.
And perhaps that is exactly the point. Not to seek perfection, but wholeness. Not to seek a life without pain, but a life in which pain has meaning, has a voice, has a place beside joy. To live vertically, in depth, and not only horizontally, across the surface. To remember that I am at once small and infinite, that I am prayer and flesh, that I am light and shadow, and that it is precisely in this tension between opposites that the soul is born. I leave the journal open. The light has already become day.

Comments
Post a Comment