Reclaiming the Self - On Projections, Truth, and Quiet Strength
What happens when our true Self collides with the need of others to turn us into an image they require...
We constantly "clothe" others in our own perceptions. We do not fully see the person before us; instead, we see a fragment of them filtered through our own history - through fear, desire, past disappointments, and the need for security. Sometimes we need someone to be "the strong one," "the villain," "the savior," "the guilty one," "the wise one," or "the cold one." It makes the world feel more orderly. But the cost is that the real human being vanishes behind the role.
And here lies a crucial psychoanalytic distinction between someone being unable to see something and someone choosing not to see it.
A person may truly not know. They might lack the internal tools to comprehend a given situation. They might be in defense mode, or overwhelmed by anxiety. The psyche has a remarkable capacity to shield a person from what would be, in that moment, too painful to bear.
But there comes another moment - when defense no longer serves survival, but convenience.
Then, a person doesn't merely fail to see; they begin to arrange reality so that they never have to see.
This is far more subtle than a simple lie.
Because sometimes there is no direct lie. There is a selective picking of what will be noticed. There are silences, renamings, rationalizations. There is "let's not complicate things." There is "you're overthinking it." There is "that's not quite how it is." And gradually, though truth stands right in front of the person, they construct a subtle internal architecture where it has no place to enter.
This brings us very close to the subject of betrayal.
However, I would not say that every disagreement with our truth constitutes betrayal. That is an important caveat.
The other person has the right to see things differently. They even have the right to say, "I do not accept your interpretation." That is not necessarily betrayal.
For me, betrayal begins where someone knows enough to understand what they are doing, and yet consciously chooses the convenient version of reality - especially if that version requires sacrificing you, the truth, or their own integrity.
And right here lies the essential phrase: "I do not judge you." This is vital.
Otherwise, the message could easily turn into moral superiority: "I am the one who sees, and you are the blind ones." That would create the exact same problem, only from the opposite side. It would be just another role, another garment to wear.
There is something far more mature in saying: "I do not know everything. But I know what I have seen. And I will not betray my own perception simply for your comfort."
That is a profound difference.
There is another aspect that I find essential: truth is not necessarily a weapon.
Often, when we say, "I am telling you the truth," there is a hidden desire for the other person to finally validate our version - to say, "Yes, you are right. Yes, you saw correctly."
But true inner freedom perhaps begins when you no longer need that validation.
You can speak the truth and accept that the other person may not receive it.
That is painful, but it is also deeply spiritual.
Because in doing so, you relinquish control.
You cannot open someone else's eyes. You cannot heal them. You cannot force them to be honest with themselves. You can only refuse to be an accomplice to their self-deception.
And to me, this is one of the most powerful spiritual insights: to set the other person free without abandoning your own truth.
Here lies a vast difference between forgiveness and reconciliation.
You can forgive and choose not to return. You can understand someone's psychology without excusing their behavior. You can see the fear behind someone's cruelty and still say: "This is no longer a safe place for me." You can love a person without stepping into the role they wrote for you.
I no longer wish to be seen through the lens of your need for me. I want to remain true to who I am before God, before myself, and before my own conscience.
The spiritual perspective: true spirituality does not always bring comfort. Sometimes it is the capacity to remain in the silence when there is no answer.
And here, "divine silence" becomes a powerful image.
Because there are moments when one says: "God, show me who is right." And perhaps the response that comes is different: "Stop searching for who is right. See what you must do with your life."
That is far more difficult.
God does not always give us an explanation. Sometimes He gives us direction.
The return to breath, light, water, sunrise... These are images of integration. In the beginning, the person was "clothed" from the outside. In the end, she begins to inhabit her own body and her own presence once more.
She breathes. That is no small thing.
In a psychoanalytic sense, this is a movement away from another's projection back to one's own subjectivity. From "What kind of person do I need to be for you?" to "What is real for me?"
And to me, this is the true transformation.
Not proving that you were right. Not forcing those who betrayed you to confess. Not even receiving justice. But arriving at a place where you can quietly say: "I know what I saw. I know what I experienced. I know what I can no longer carry. It does not require everyone's agreement to be real for me."
This is no longer an insult. This is a boundary.
The greatest strength lies not in accusation, but in refusing to make your pain your identity.
Not remaining "the woman who was betrayed." But becoming the woman who has walked through betrayal and preserved her capacity to see, to love, to think, to doubt, to forgive, to say "no," and to keep breathing.
This is a much quieter form of strength. And, in my view, a far deeper one.
Comments
Post a Comment